Sunday, February 04, 2007

Ready to Roll Out - Part Deux


I have an impossible to place orphan child. I suppose I'll have to wait until I'm a famous author before I can convince a publisher to take on "Tales of a Texas Boy." Thing is, these stories are absolutely all one package and dying to get a cover and a blurb.

Haven't these people (meaning publishers) ever heard of Annie Proulx? We both write in Southwestern dialect, except my stories don't have any sex in them. I take that back, there is some discussion about a crazy jackass who is an enthusiastic stud--too enthusiastic.

Then, there's a lot about other animals, both domestic and wild: sheep, chickens, pigs, horses, cattle, dogs, bears, rattlesnakes, jackrabbits. This is a veritable cornucopia of animal antics. The picture's of old Cage McNatt and his champion pig. Aren't you dying to hear that tale?

Oh, yeah, how can you pass up a story about mammoths? Yes, those big hairy elephants. What do they have to do about West Texas in the 1930s? Beg me for the story and you'll find out.

Seven of the stories have found homes in print and on-line, so I'm pretty sure people like them. I just want them all together in a single book. Is that too much to ask?

All twenty stories are from the point of view of little Eddie Perkins, a boy living on a farm in West Texas. The best part is that all the stories are true. My father was that boy and he told me these tales. Since they're about Texas, you can also assume there's a little bit of exaggeration involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment