Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Two Steps Back

NaNoWriMo is all about pounding out words until you get to 50,000 or more. The biggest mistake one can make is to start thinking of whether the words thus pounded really belong in the novel(la) or not. I committed that error and went downhill by removing stuff I just know won't be in the final story.

Other nanon-ers are telling me how wrong I was to do that. Well, I'll keep trying to write things that actually belong in the book. When I'm still short of the 50K near the end of this month, I may retrieve the junk and shove it back into the manuscript. I'm proud, but not that proud.

1 comment:

  1. I think that next year I will have to give that Nano novel a shot Marva. Maybe, if I do some pre-planning during the course of this year I can make it happen next year. Don't worry, I won't write anything before Nov. 1st...that would be cheating, and where then would be the sense of accomplishment? Man, just the thought of nearly 2000 words/day makes me shiver. LOL!

    I put a link to your blog on mine. Brainfarted and didn't do that earlier. Sheesh...surely it's not old age seting in?

    ReplyDelete