Thursday, June 28, 2007

Guest Review - J.W. Coffey on Tales

I'm turning the blog over to Jesse Coffey today since she wrote such a nice review of Tales of a Texas Boy. Here's the review just as she wrote it.

Book Review by J.W. Coffey -- Tales of a Texas Boy

A lovely lady by the name of Marva Dasef asked me to do a review exchange and I agreed. Now, I normally don't read subsidy press books for the magazines I write for. But when someone asks me as nicely as Ms. Dasef did. I decided to give it a whirl. I'm very glad I did. The read/exchange was worth it.

Tales of a Texas Boy
ISBN: 978-0-6151-4896-0
Publisher: Texas Boy Publications
Rights Owner: Marva Dasef
Copyright: © 2007 Marva Dasef Standard Copyright License
Language: English
Country: United States
Edition: First Edition

Buy at Marva's Website (save Shipping) OR at Lulu.com

Tales of a Texas Boy is a series of short stories detailing life in a simpler time, life in Texas during the early half of the 20th century. Ms. Dasef sat down and spoke with her father--Eddie--at length, listening to his memories of Texas at a time when the radio was all they had for entertainment. When lightning filled the sky. When life was simpler and the work was harder. Taking her father's memories, she has woven bits of fiction in with the historical and come up with a lovely book.

Each story is told in the first person dialect, giving a sense of Eddie's personality. Ms. Dasef has drawn up a delightful person, full of the awe and wonder of a young lad. Eddie tells us about hunting jackrabbits (Rattlesnakes and Jackrabbits) and the purchase of one obstinate, nasty tempered jackass (The Auction). The characters are well rounded but still presented from young boy's point of view, seen as he would see them. These are only two of the stories included but easily my favorites. The rest of the stories are very engaging, the book a true page turner in a very gentle fashion.

The stories give a very accurate portrayal of life--post depression era--Texas. The characters are endearing, real, and complex. Ms. Dasef has created a marvelous world that will please any reader--from young adult to older audiences. The characters are vivid. The stories are told in such a way that you feel as if Eddie is talking only to you. The feel is intimate, true sharing. The style is very vivid, as if you're right there with Eddie in all of the situations.

If there is one flaw here, it will be in a bit of editing choices that I would have disagreed with. "Ever" as in "every" that should have had an apostrophe (ever', e. g. ever' bit of it...). But if all I can find is something mechanical, then it's of small consequence.

Tales of a Texas Boy is available in paperback format. I heartily recommend this book for readers sixth grade and up. The kind of thing that will make you smile and give you great entertainment.

I give Tales of a Texas Boy 4.5 out of 5 stars. Kudos to Ms. Dasef for a great book.

6 comments:

  1. congrats Marva, that's a very nice endorsement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the nice review, Marva. :)

    By the way, I've linked your blog to ours--hope you don't mind!

    ~Merc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm.... Our Marva is even brighter than we thought. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the one where the man comes to the ranch and the boy goes out on horses (I know, I'm not good at remembering precise details) so if this is the one, then I know the read is a good one.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, M.E., the guy with the bulls and all that. That's one of them.

    Merc: thanks, I'll link back.

    Benjihopper: I've linked you under the name Weird Person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. although I'm usually suspicious of anything texan, this one seems fascinating.

    ReplyDelete